Hello, dear readers !
Today, I am thrilled to introduce you to a fascinating new platform that I’ve created, called Disruptive Horizons, a space dedicated to exploring the disruption of nation-states by the Internet and how enlightened individuals like us can thrive in this new world.
A few articles already published
Here are some of the articles already published on Disruptive Horizons:
- The FATCA disaster: Explore the implications of the Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA) and its impact on American citizens living abroad. This article delves into the complexities of this law and why it may be more costly than beneficial.
- How KYC and AML are destroying the world: This article takes a critical look at Know Your Customer (KYC) and Anti-Money Laundering (AML) regulations. It explores how these well-intentioned policies might be contributing to global issues.
- Why I’m writing this Substack: This is the introductory article where I share my motivation for starting Disruptive Horizons. It provides a glimpse into the topics I’ll be covering and my personal journey.
- A Tax on your Nationality: can your country pull it off?: This article explores the concept of a tax based on nationality and its potential implications. It provides an insightful analysis of how such a tax could impact a country’s finances.
- 10 Principles of History for predicting the future (1/2): This is the first part of a two-part series that outlines ten historical principles that can be used to predict the future. It provides a unique perspective on how we can use the lessons of the past to navigate the future.
Why am I creating a new blog in English?
I am embarking on a journey to write a book on this subject. Although I am writing the book in French, my mother tongue, I have chosen to share my thoughts and ideas in English on Disruptive Horizons. This decision stems from my desire to reach and contribute to the larger English-speaking community interested in these subjects.
I am no stranger to the world of writing. I penned a best-selling book in French, “Tout le monde n’a pas eu la chance de rater ses études” which sold around 115,000 copies. Its English translation, “The Way of The Intelligent Rebel” sold around 5,000 copies, and one of the reasons was that my audience in English is very small : this time, I aim to build an audience of English speakers interested in the subject before the book’s publication in English.
Disruptive Horizons will mainly feature translations of passages I’ve written in French for my upcoming book. Thanks to advances in artificial intelligence, I am able to translate the essentials using the Deepl tool. However, as English is a second language for me, I welcome any feedback on any errors or strange stylistic arrangements.
On this platform, I will delve into a variety of topics around the Internet’s disruption of nation-states. These include the lessons of history in social and technological change, the increasing mobility of citizens, the impact of remote working, the tax and legal implications of this mobility, and the disruptive effects of cryptocurrencies on the stability of nation-states.
Moreover, I will explore the difficulties states face in combating international tax fraud facilitated by the Internet and globalization, and in protecting their citizens against online fraud committed in other countries. I will also discuss how the Internet disrupts the sense of national belonging, and how it can both facilitate widespread surveillance and emancipate individuals from stifling regulations.
I will also share strategies for navigating this new landscape, such as how to break the chains of centralization and maximize freedom through expatriation, ways to minimize your taxation, and examples of countries where nomads can feel freer.
Born in France and a full-time web entrepreneur since 2010, I have been traveling for around six months a year, every year since 2011. I moved to Dubai in 2018, where I currently reside. Living abroad for so long has given me a first-hand perspective on the various topics I will cover on Disruptive Horizons.
Stay tuned for more updates from Disruptive Horizons, and let’s explore this new landscape together!